This year I've tried to use more of OpenBSD's base tools with little or no configuration files. Two that I focused on were tmux and cwm. I've been using tmux since before it was added to the base system, but I had tried to make it look and feel like GNU/screen. I stopped that nonsense. Now, my .tmux.conf is very minimal:
set -g status-keys vi
setw -g mode-keys vi
But I had been using spectrwm for my window manager. And a good friend, Andrew Fresh (afresh1), suggested that I try out cwm(1). So I did.
I've been playing tennis since I was a kid. My parents always played, so of course my brother and I got into it pretty young. When I was young (teens and before), I was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. I played with some really good players... some that went on to become college coaches or club pros. But, in my teens, I got a job and really cut back on tennis. As an adult, I tried to get back into a few times, but it never lasted. It seemed that my interest piqued at the end of the Summer and by the time Spring came around, my interest was gone.
This year, I started playing early. I was hitting against the wall in February and played with my dad some then. I continued hitting against the wall and started playing other people around April. By the time June came around, I was actively playing several people a week and consistently getting better. I played in a tournament at the end of August and made it to the finals. This Fall I've been playing in a USTA Flex league. And over the weekend, I entered another tournament.
On a very cold evening in January, 2003, Holly was driving to my parents house to meet me so we could spend time with my family. On the way, she was driving on a windy, two-lane road through the woods. All of a sudden, this thing popped into the road and then ran back in the woods. Then it happened again. At first Holly wondered if this was a fox or something. But, no. It was a dog. A black and white little puppy. She was hopping into the road and then running back into the woods where her two brothers were.
It was cold. They were sick. They had been dumped in the woods. They wouldn't have made it through the night. Holly took action. She took them to the vet nearby. That night, we decided we were keeping one of them: the white and black little leader: Sydney. She was strong and smart and brave. She was running to the road to get help for her sick, weak brothers. And she did.
I know I haven't been keeping this blog up to date. But it's been a busy year.
At the (almost) last minute last Sunday, I decide to sign up for the Sea Gull Century Ride. It's a 100 mile ride on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. There were three courses available: Assateague, Snow Hill and a Princess Anne Metric Century (100 km/62 mi). I did the Assateague ride since it went out to the ocean.
I spent last week ping ponging back and forth between confidence that it would be no big deal to high anxiety worrying that I would be able to finish the ride.
Since I registered for the ride so late, when I tried to get a hotel, many of them were sold out. So, I went on Priceline and found one close to Salisbury University (where the ride starts and ends). I should have known that I didn't get lucky. It was a dump and I had a smoking room... that stale stench... Yuck.
After hosting email and websites for erdelynet.com (capbug.org and metabug.org) in my house on OpenBSD boxes for many years, I decided that I didn't want to deal with the headaches of maintaining the systems. Plus, when my power went out, so did my email. That sucked.
So, I've migrated my sites to Google Apps + Blogger.
www.erdelynet.com is now a Blogger website. This allows me to manage my website within the framework of Google Apps.
My email is hosted on Google Apps giving me the Gmail interface (plus IMAP & POP3 if I want it).
CapBUG and MetaBUG are also both their own Google Apps domains.
Now I have less overhead in my house and a very nice, reliable system for my domains.
I've tested macppc, i386, and amd64. I'm having an issue with sparc64 and have not yet tested sgi, alpha, or landisk (which I'm pretty sure doesn't build yet). sparc64 works, it just prints out an error message every few seconds. If someone wants to submit a patch, I can commit it and release a 4.8.1 or something.
Please subscribe to the mailing list and submit any test reports, diffs, suggestions.
Oh, and Yaifo HEAD is now sync'd with OpenBSD -current (as of 2010-11-28).
It's been a while, but I'm almost ready to release Yaifo for OpenBSD 4.7. I have tested my updates with i386, amd64, macppc, and alpha. I consider those architectures "stable". I know sgi and landisk aren't working. I don't have a sparc, so I can't test that. I have to replace a disk in my sparc64, so I'll test that when I can (I expect to have ramdisk space issues).
If you are able or are willing to test sgi, landisk, sparc, or sparc64, test reports and diffs are welcome.