Configuring OpenBSD to be my gateway for FiOS was very easy. My external interface (that plugged into the cable modem) was fxp1. I deleted /etc/hostname.fxp1 and created an /etc/hostname.pppoe0 with:
!/sbin/ifconfig fxp1 up
!/usr/sbin/spppcontrol \$if myauthproto=pap myauthname=foo myauthkey=bar
!/sbin/ifconfig \$if inet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff
!/sbin/route add default 0.0.0.1
This was directly taken from OpenBSD's pppoe (4) man page. As always, OpenBSD documentation is second to none.
Next, I ran:
ifconfig fxp1 inet -alias
ifconfig fxp1 down
route -n delete default
sh /etc/netstart pppoe0
Finally, I edited my /etc/pf.conf replacing references to fxp1 with pppoe0. I ran pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf and I was online.
Now that OpenBSD was configured and my machines were online, I tested my speed from a wired computer. 14000 kbps downstream and 1400 kbps upstream. Fantastic.
Next, I tested my wireless laptop (with 802.11g) and was getting about 4 Mbps down. Strange. My brother and I discussed this recently and he said he was seeing similar results. After doing some research, I found that running an access point in B/G mixed mode can cause performance degradation for G clients. Switching my Linksys WAP54G (firmware 2.06) to G-only mode gave me 14000 kbps speeds. Then, I decided to upgrade my WAP54Gv2's firmware. WAP54Gv3's have 3.03 so I gave it a shot. It installs nicely. And, in mixed mode, my G-clients are getting at least 15 Mbps downstream, so I'm a happy happy camper.
Maybe I can talk Verizon into getting me a static IP address. I'll even pay extra for it! Then erdelynet.com can come home.